[MLton-devel] monomorphisation and the opus

Suresh Jagannathan suresh@cs.purdue.edu
Fri, 9 May 2003 09:26:02 -0500

There are two issues:

1. How do we best describe the monomorphiser as it currently
exists?  Right now, the description is by example only.  The main
questions are whether (a) such a description is sufficient, and (b)
is statement/proof of correctness necessary?  I think (a) is probably
ok if we don't have (b), but is insufficient if we do.  Unfortunately,
I don't see any way of describing (b) without giving a detailed
algorithm.

2. There is an orthogonal question on whether we want to elaborate
this section to include a discussion of how the monomorphiser could
be adapted to deal with polymorphic recursion.  I'm not advocating
a detailed presentation, but we have had some discussion on this
point in the past; is this issue important enough to warrant a subsection
that contains an informal discussion on the topic?