[MLton-devel] cvs commit: C codegen cleanup

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 14 May 2003 13:41:39 -0400 (EDT)

> > I ask, because without a number of hacks (which would essentially expose
> > the Machine.Operand.Runtime variant), the native codegen won't be able to
> > determine which operands correspond to the stackTop and which correspond
> > to the frontier.  Currently, the x86-codegen works hard to keep those
> > values in registers.
>
> Yeah, frontier and stackTop are special enough to single out.

Actually, it's not as bad as I thought.  I had assumed that nothing about
the GCState was being passed down to the codegens, but so long as GCField
is available, I can check whether or not an operand corresponds to
StackTop or Frontier.  So, I'd say it's not worth adding new
Machine.Operand variants.