[MLton-devel] cvs commit: C codegen cleanup

Alain Deutsch deutsch@pst.polyspace.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 09:55:06 +0200 (MET DST)

As regards stackTop, nextFun and assorted very busy variables, I
tried a long time ago to allocate them a global register. GCC
permits this by saying for instance:

	register int nextFun asm("g5");

(see http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Global-Reg-Vars.html). The
speedup was quite significant under SPARC though I cannot remember
the exact figures. I wonder if this still would pay off with the
current code.

This could be an alternative to the caching of global variables in
locals that is performed now.

--
Alain Deutsch, CTO              tel.: +33 (0)1 49 65 32 64
PolySpace Technologies          fax.: +33 (0)1 49 65 05 77