[MLton-devel] Re: finalization in MLton

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 19 May 2003 11:37:14 -0700

> I now have a way to reproduce the error I reported.
>
> If I compile mlton-20030419 with the command
>
>         make all install
>
> (which will then use the MLton from Debian sid) then I get the error.
>
> But if I compile mlton-20030419 with the command
>
>         make clean bootstrap install
>
> then I don't get any errors when I compile omega-mlton.cm.

Aha.  The problem occurs because "make all install" uses stubs to
makes MLton with an older version, and these stubs turn on asserts in
MLton, which catches the problem.  Making mlton the second time (which
make bootstrap does) makes MLton without stubs, which turns off
asserts, which doesn't catch the problem.

You should always do a make bootstrap when starting from clean
sources.  In fact, I've changed our top-level Makefile to make that
the default target.

Also, I've checked in a fix so that even if asserts are turned on, the
simplifier won't fail due to this bug.