[MLton-devel] Re: finalization in MLton

Ken Friis Larsen kfl@it.edu
19 May 2003 21:06:16 +0100

Hi Stephen and Matthew,

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Stephen Weeks <sweeks@sweeks.com> writes:
> Actually, I think MLton will figure this one out sometimes due to
> globalization of refs.

Cool!  MLton ROCKS.

> Stepping back a level, since we now have a Finalizable module in
> MLton, I think things be much more robust if Ken uses that instead of
> trying to roll his own.

I agree, and I don't have a problem with that.  I just wanted to show
what I had because I thought it was a nice implementation, and I knew
that at least two libraries was going to use something like that.
Stephen's module is just as nice, and more general (although I think
my module captures the essence better ;-).

(I would just have loved to get some code into MLton ;-)

Also I'm in position where I can almost promise that the next version
of Moscow ML will have a Finalize module similar to the one I've
posted.  But as mentioned before I'd like if we could at least share
interfaces.

> So, I don't see any advantage to sharing the code between Moscow ML
> and MLton

Perhaps not the code.  But it would be really nice if the signatures
where the same.

Stephen, your module seems to much more general than mine.  Could you
send me a sketch of the use-case example you had in mind when you made
the interface?  (It does not need to be on the list if we are getting
OT).

> Thus, Ken, I think it would be best if you built your Finalized
> module on top of MLton.Finalizable.

I'll do something like that for the code I'm writing for MLton now.

Cheers,

--Ken