[MLton-devel] calling SML from C; reentrance

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Tue, 20 May 2003 11:55:47 -0400 (EDT)

> Hmm.  It occurs to me that with this code may lead to a way execute on
> top of the existing SML stack that called the C function.  Maybe we
> need to add a primtive for executing a function call on top of a
> stack?

One possible advantage of executing a function call on top of a stack is
that the function could inheret the exception handler of the stack.  This
could be useful when bouncing back and forth between C and SML, where
there isn't necessarily a good way of propagating an exception through C
back to SML.  But, there are issues with tearing down the C stack frame
for the function(s) that are on the C side.