[MLton-devel] Sparc port question

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 26 May 2003 09:15:05 -0700

> I was wondering about the options -fcall-used-g5 -fcall-used-g7 that are
> used in Sparc mode for GCC ?

I grabbed them from the options used to compile the linux kernel.  I
assume it has some chance for speedup since it makes a couple more
registers available, but I didn't do any tests to confirm this.

>From the gcc docs:

-fcall-used-REG
     Treat the register named REG as an allocable register that is
     clobbered by function calls.  It may be allocated for temporaries
     or variables that do not live across a call.  Functions compiled
     this way will not save and restore the register REG.

     It is an error to used this flag with the frame pointer or stack
     pointer.  Use of this flag for other registers that have fixed
     pervasive roles in the machine's execution model will produce
     disastrous results.

     This flag does not have a negative form, because it specifies a
     three-way choice.