[MLton] Install problem

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 23:31:55 -0800

> I'm using the newest cygwin for win2000, which is downloaded from
> http://www.cygwin.com. I downloaded the mlton-20030720-1.src.tar and
> tried to compile it for serveral times. I met the following error,
> Could anyone help me about this?

Hi.  Thanks for the bug report.  We have encountered this problem
before and believe it may be due to a gcc 3.23 bug.  See this thread
from the MLton-user mailing list

	http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton-user/2003-August/000150.html

We've seen successful builds on Cygwin with gcc versions 2.95, 2.96,
3.2.  But we've seen exactly your segfault with 3.23.  What version
are you using?

BTW, there is another problem with 20030716 and 20030720 that prevents
bootstrapping on Cygwin.  The bug was fixed on August 8.  See

	http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton-user/2003-August/000148.html

Unfortunately, the upshot is that I can't point you at a recent
version of MLton that you can bootstrap on Cygwin.  I usually build
Cygwin packages by cross compiling from a Linux machine.  Although
cross compiling has its own difficulties.

I am working on the Cygwin stuff and hope that the next MLton release
will be able to bootstrap on Cygwin without problems.