[MLton] self-compiled mlton on redhat 9

Gerard Milmeister gemi@bluewin.ch
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:16:32 +0100

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 06:51, Stephen Weeks wrote:

> The user+sys is in the right ballpark for your machine.  I don't
> understand why it is thrashing so badly.  By default the runtime
> shouldn't use more than 80% of RAM, which is more than enough to do a
> self compile on a 1GB machine.  Was anything else running
> simultaneously and holding on to memory?
top show SIZE ca 810M and RSS ca 650M, but %CPU is very low.
I noticed I had previously used mlton-20030711-1.i386.rpm
to bootstrap. I downloaded mlton-20030716-1.i386.rpm, and
it is just as bad as the self-compiled one. I tried
to limit -h addressspace 512M, and it started fine without
trashing, but along the way it couldn't allocate memory
anymore.
Could this be a problem of the VM in the kernel 2.4.20-20.9
shipped by RedHat?

--
Gérard Milmeister
Tannenrauchstrasse 35