[MLton] Re: OpenGL for MLton - slight return

Mike Thomas mthomas@gil.com.au
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:11:09 +1000

Hi Stephen.

My flight is now delayed until Saturday so I took the opportunity to dive in
again last night and this evening and things are going fairly well if
somewhat tediously.

You may recall we briefly discussed the possibility of extending the FFI
datatypes so that C floats could be passed as arguments without having to
use an intermediate C function which had no purpose other than to convert
SML reals (C doubles) into C floats for certain C functions.

It is now starting to dawn on me that there are an enormous number of
functions in the OpenGL API which use C floats for arguments.  Usually they
are redundant (having double argument equivalents) so from the point of view
of overall capability this is not such a major issue, but for the sake of
consistency it would be nice to be able to implement those functions without
having to write C wrappers or whatever.

So - do you have a newer version of MLton available for Windows yet which
has a suitably extended set of datatypes?

If not, would it be too much trouble for you to provide one over the next
couple of weeks?

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

---