[MLton] Re: Porting MLton to Mac OS X

Anoq of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:43:21 +0200

mlton-request@mlton.org wrote:
> Using the C backend mode, would be straight forward. Mac OS X
> inhertis much of the environment of freebsd (10.3 should be quite source
> compatible to linux - at least that is what apple says).

At some point I was also considering to look into this - but the project
for which I originally needed it was cancelled, so I never got to do it -
nor even to buy a Mac for that matter. But it will definately have my
interest if you start this port :)

One issue will be that the Power PC chip is big-endian where as x86
is little-endian. So e.g. the order of the 4 bytes in a 32bit word is
reversed - which will definately have importance in a compiler.

For what it's worth I'll gladly answer questions (but I don't always
pay a lot of attention to this list and you can send to me directly).
The other MLton people might be of more help though ;)

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com