[MLton] add-cross no longer uses a cross compiler

Anoq of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:40:48 +0200

sweeks@mlton.org wrote:
>   Revamped add-cross so that it doesn't use a cross compiler.  Instead,
>   it uses ssh and the gcc on the target machine.  This is no great loss,
>   since it already used ssh to the machine to run print-constants.

Is there any way to retain the old method - with a flag to the
script or something?

Otherwise I would have to install at least a native MinGW on Windows
or something (which would give extra hazzle). And I would have to do
the compiles manually too, since I don't have any ssh on Windows either.
The only decent ssh implementation I know of for Windows is with Cygwin -
and the Cygwin setup program crashed on NT the last time I tried
(and I think even 2000 too?) It worked on XP, but my XP machine is
the one I'm compiling on under Linux.

And even worse, what if people don't have more than one machine?

It would definately be nice with the cross-compilation thing
where the program is generated for the target which can then
be run subsequently (without having to rely on things like ssh
or the likes) on the target.

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com