[MLton-devel] What is the building status of the project right now?

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:33:08 -0700

> Here we go. I think the upgrade basis gets built wrongly the second
> time, but you might have more insight in these matters than me:

I agree that looks like the problem.  But I can't figure out why.

> gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/mlton'
> rm -f upgrade-basis.sml
> gmake upgrade-basis.sml
> gmake[3]: Entering directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/mlton'
> /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/bin/upgrade-basis `which mlton` >upgrade-basis.sml
> gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/mlton'
> Compiling mlton (takes a while)
> Creating constants file.
> /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/build/bin/mlton -build-constants true >tmp.c
> /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/build/bin/mlton -output tmp tmp.c
> ./tmp >/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/build/lib/self/constants
> rm -f tmp tmp.c
> gmake -C /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/mlton
> gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/mlton'
> rm -f upgrade-basis.sml
> gmake upgrade-basis.sml
> gmake[3]: Entering directory `/home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/mlton'
> /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/bin/upgrade-basis `which mlton` >upgrade-basis.sml

This second call to upgrade-basis is supposed to be using the newly
constructed mlton, build/bin/mlton, which is what `which mlton` should
return since the Makefile puts build/bin in PATH.  But I'm not sure if
that's happening.  Can you see what mlton `which mlton` is returning,
either by adding a command to the Makefile, or an error message to
stderr in upgrade-basis.