[MLton-devel] Controlling memory usage for MPI MLton processes

Roland Olsson rolando@brage.ia.hiof.no
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:23:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

First of all, I would like to congratulate you to an amzingly bug-free
compiler. I have previously tried many 110.x SML/NJ versions and have had
various problems with all of them.

However, MLton managed to compile my ADATE automatic programming system
without activating any detectable compiler /run-time system bug. That's
well done!

My only problem is that I cannot use MLtons ram-slop option under MPI.
This option appears necessary to prevent swapping for my application and
does its job perfectly in single process mode. But I have not succeeded in
communicationg this option to MPI slave processes and wonder if it can be
set in some other way than through a command line option?

I have also tried MLton.Rlimit.set (residentSetSize, ... ) and  "limit
datasize" in .tcshrc, but it doesn't help. MLton still eats up so much of
the memory that swapping is triggered.

Under SML/NJ, a process needs about 65MB, but the MLton processes insist
on using about 210MB which triggers swapping on the 256MB Beowulf cluster
nodes.

Any suggestion welcome!

Cheers,

Roland Olsson