[MLton-devel] Profiling for NetBSD

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:08:52 -0700

Jesper, sorry for the slow response on this one.

> The following patch to the GC enables profiling for NetBSD.

I've checked this in.

> I still have a couple of problems with it. First off running
>
>   mlprof tak mlmon.out
>
> doesnt work (we get an exec error for tak), but
>
>   mlprof ./tak mlmon.out
>
> does work.

I have a guess on this.  mlprof uses Process.callWithIn, which in turn
uses fork/execp.  If . is not your path, then the execp will fail.  I
guess mlprof should use exec instead of execp.

> Second, using the newest compiled mlprof errors with:
>
>   sarah$ /home/jlouis/projects/mlton-rebuild/build/bin/mlprof ./tak \
>        mlmon.out
>
>   Error in ./tak: unexpected end of show-prof data
>
> Whereas the older version of mlprof succeeds:

I've checked in a fix for this.  I introduced some bugs when I was
doing the TextIO.inputLine changeover.

> Now, is there a profiling regression so exercise the code?

Sadly no.  The only thing I do is a "make" in doc/examples/profiling.
That exercises lots of stuff.