[MLton-devel] Controlling memory usage for MPI MLton processes

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:30:10 -0700

> I solved the problem by recompiling the compiler and setting fixedHeap to
> 170M in runtime/gc.c. The paging possibly occurred because the C part of
> ADATE may use 30MB or more of heap space that MLton doesn't know about.

Yes, unfortunately the runtime doesn't take into account any other
memory usage.  BTW, you should be able to get by just recompiling the
runtime, not the entire copmiler.  And hopefully with the next
release, you won't need even that, since compiling with -runtime
'fixed-heap 170m' should work.

Also, if you get a benchmark for ADATE that runs on SML/NJ and MLton
(and possibly other SML compilers), we'd like to hear about it, and
add it to our performance page.  And if you can send a brief (1-2
sentence) description and a link, we'd also like to add an entry for
ADATE to our users page (http://www.mlton.org/users.html).  Thanks.