[MLton] self-compiled mlton on redhat 9

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:19:24 -0800

> I would like to create an rpm for Fedora. I installed
> the binary rpm, and compiled mlton using this and a .spec
> file from the src rpm, a little adapted along the Fedora
> guidelines. Everything seems to work, I can the install the
> freshly created rpm. But the I want to build it again using
> the new binary. On the first call mlton grinds to halt, eats
> all the memory up, but doesn't do anything further.
> What can be the problem?

Hi Gerard.  I'm sorry for the delayed reply.  Thanks for looking into
packaging MLton for Fedora.  We'd love to see MLton get in there.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out the problem from what you've told
us.  Here are some questions and things to try.

How much memory does your machine have?

What version of MLton were you using?  (20030716 I assume)

Does the binary RPM that you built compile anything successfully?
Could you try it on all the regressions for us?

Try running the compile with -verbose 3 to see where it hangs.

Also, if you'll let me know the version of Fedora you're using, send
me your spec file, and tell me any other details of what you did, I'll
try to recreate the problem on one of my machines.  Thanks.