[MLton-devel] front-end and deprecated identifiers

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:18:26 -0400 (EDT)

Alain's response about  -basis 1997  reminded me of a feature request I
was thinking about.  Reppy et. al. have updated the Basis Library
web-pages, and deprecated  Word.{to,from}LargeWord  replacing them with
Word.{to,from}Large (to be consistent with Int and Real).  Anyways, I was
wondering how difficult it would be to modify the front-end and elaborator
to emit warnings on uses of deprecated identifiers.  (The "opposite" would
be nice to; if an identifier is added to a module, you can get unwanted
uses through  open S.)  The simplest version would be to modify the
declaration syntax to allow:

deprecated foo = e

which would add deprecation status to the identifier foo.  Otherwise, it
would be identical to a val declaration.  Any subsequent uses of that
identifier would print a warning message.

I don't know if it would be harder to move the deprecation marking to
signatures.