[MLton-devel] RE: SML and the Palm - How To Do It

Mike Thomas mike.thomas@brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:22:00 +1000

Hi Stephen.

| Hi Mike.  I saw your post on the MLj newsgroup about running SML on a
| Palm.  I wonder if it might be possible to port the C codegen of MLton
| to do so?  It's at least portable enough to handle x86 and Sparc, so
| maybe it wouldn't be too bad.  But I don't know enough about the OS to
| know how hard it would be to port MLton's runtime system.

At this time I don't know very much about it either; even less about the
MLton C code generator.  The OS seems to be pretty far from the Unix/Windows
family tree in terms of memory, file, communications and process management.

The emphasis is also very much on small.  With the 68000 target at least,
you have to get in to tricky stuff to use object and data modules larger
than 32K, or dynamic libraries.  Those tricks are well known, however, in
the programming literature.

On the other hand, one of the main C/C++ development systems is based on a
gcc targetted at 68000 (ARM being developed for the future too), which I
suppose would make things a bit easier for you.

| I cc Ken Larsen on this mail because he was one of the people who
| worked on ML Kit for the Palm and now has some experience with MLton,
| so he may have some ideas.

It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.