[MLton-devel] sadly slow character I/O speed

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 00:00:23 -0500

I  did  a  simple  test  of  character  I/O (TextIO.input1) in a simple state
machine (so all tail-recursive function calls) translating stdin  to  stdout.
Here are the timings:

    C  stdio with the #defines to turn off the stupid thread stuff.  (This is
        the way I always compile all of my C programs):
        10.62 CPU seconds.

    C stdio without the #defines:
        56.70 CPU seconds.

    MLton 20030716 using  a  simple  input1  and  output1  build  on  top  of
        Posix.IO:
        29.50 CPU seconds.

    MLton 20030716 using TextIO.input1 and TextIO.output1:
        37.96 CPU seconds.

The  moral  is  that my MLton code, even with my own I/O, runs almost 3 times
slower than my C code.  Definitely quite unfortunate.