[MLton-devel] cvs commit: Word64 is there

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 06:56:08 -0700

> >   Word64 is implemented, much as Int64 is, with _import for all the
> >   primitives.  This is especially bad for coercions that bounce through
> >   LargeWord (which is now Word64), since they will involve a couple of C
> >   calls and cannot be simplified away.
>
> Would it be worth designating a class of primitives that get translated to
> C calls at the translation to RSSA or to Machine?

I don't think so.  As soon as you add the primitives to the x86
codegen, they can be trivially added to the C codegen, and so will
become primitives all the way down.  At that point we can add the
optimization.

One SSA optimization that would be nice to have in place would be one
that simplifies primapp expression trees instead of just primapps
applied to variables.  That would let us get

	Word8_toWord16 == Word64_toWord8 o Word8_toWord64

I don't think it's too tough, since it's quite local.  Any takers?