[MLton-devel] Int.precision is 32 bits?

Jesper Louis Andersen jlouis@mongers.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 00:25:39 +0200

Quoting Stephen Weeks (sweeks@sweeks.com):

> > What nags me is that poly->mono instantiaion like this can result in
> > code explosion ...
>
> In theory.  But we've never seen it happen.  Analogies with C++
> template expansion don't seem to hold.

Interesting. People I've talked always pulls the expansion argument
when the polymorphic->monomorphic problem is solved by instantiation. On
the other hand boxing and coercions or RTTI seems to be quite slow
compared to instantiation.

But it does also mean that using a polymorphic function in MLton is as
fast as using a type annotated one, or am I wrong here?

--
j.