[MLton] Growing the user base...

Daniel C. Wang danwang@CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:54:57 -0400

BTW.. I'm teaching the PL course at Princeton this year and would have liked
to use MLTon because of the FFI. In particular I wanted to do a cool project
with OpenGL and MLTon. MLton's FFI seems less of a hassle then SML/NJ in
this respect.

I also suspect the better error reporting, profiling, etc.. would be a good
things for students. If you'd like to see MLton get more exposure in course
work. I think what's missing is a quick prototyping mode and a good
debugger. I suspect the whole program byte code interpter you described
would be a good thing. I'm not sure what plans you have for debugging.

Also, a very unsexy but useful thing to do, would be to take some of the
ideas for SML.NET integration into Visual Studio, and either integrate MLton
into the tool chain or build a similar interface to an open source project
like Eclipse.