[MLton] style guide

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:09:50 -0400 (EDT)

> > > Since there is renewed interest in the style guide,
> > I don't think it really belongs in the User Guide.
>
> The style guide is intended to be relevant to far more than compiler
> hackers.  It is intended to be applicable to general SML development.

I don't think it is applicable to _general_ SML development.  It is geared
towards development of large SML projects.  Certainly, I wouldn't point a
new SML user to the style guide, because it starts off at the level of
functors.  Which is why I would think it belongs as a separate document --
like the formal ML Basis stuff, it requires a level of expertise that the
rest of the user guide does not demand.

> or, we could create a new separate navigation
> item, "documentation", and move the user guide and style guide there
> (perhaps even the history or papers too?).

I like this.  Because I'd like to drop the MLB formal stuff here as well,
so we have two additional documents we want to get on the web.

> My gut feeling is that
> we're approaching the limit of the current navigation bar, but that
> one more item may be ok.

Agreed.  If you move history and papers under documentation and add style
guide and formal MLB to documentation, then I think you could leave user
guide in the nav bar, since it's probably fairly high traffic.