[MLton] Finished (?) MLton.Child

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:21:40 -0800

> Here's a patch which makes CreateProcess work on cygwin without
> using fork().

Great.  I've integrated the patch, with some changes.  I await bug
reports.

> I also pulled everything out of create.c. The only method which
> remains the same between mingw and cygwin is terminate, so it was
> rather silly.

I didn't like the duplication in cygwin.c and mingw.c, so I moved the
common stuff into windows.c (including terminate, which is worth
sharing).

> Paths are translated from cygwin style to windows before
> CreateProcess.

Good.  I moved this code from the C runtime into the SML for the basis
library.

> At any rate, afaik this means MLton.Process.create works on all
> supported platforms. Therefore Unix.create works too. =) You might
> want to consider deprecating spawn in favour of the SML Basis
> provided Unix.*.

I added a note to mlton.org/MLtonProcess.

> Btw, why is mlton not built for !i386 in debian? The C target would still
> work wouldn't it?

Are you referring to the "Problems" section on

	http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mlton.html

which says that MLton is not in testing because of release critical
bugs?  Or something else?

We haven't yet even been able to reproduce bug #281701

If someone on this list can help out, we'd appreciate it.

> Also, at some point when you applied my patch to fix cygwin->mingw
> cross-compilation, part went missing and therefore cvs/HEAD doesn't work.
> I've attached a quick fix for that too. (You included -b twice)

Got it.  Thanks.