[MLton] ML/Lisp/Scheme, =, eq?, eqv?, equal?

Bradley Lucier lucier@math.purdue.edu
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:15:50 -0500

On Feb 23, 2004, at 5:03 PM, Henry Cejtin wrote:

> I  don't  know if you are aware of it, but the standard for SML before
> the 97
> version did have real an equality type.  You can look at
>         http://www.smlnj.org/doc/Conversion/types.html#Real-equality
> to see the justifiction for the change, which reading it, seems to be
> pretty
> much what I mentioned.

Thanks.  From this I infer that IEEE arithmetic = doesn't do what ML =
wants, so it was renamed to Real.==; I don't see a justification for
not defining a different = that works with floating-point numbers that
does what ML expects.

So maybe it's not something deep, perhaps it was just overlooked.

Brad