[MLton] compilation loop

Lukasz S Ziarek lziarek@cs.purdue.edu
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:32:41 -0500 (EST)

Well I was incorrect in saying there was a loop. On model-elimination the
compiler hits a snag in redundant.fun. When processing the labels, doing
the union (MakeFormalsRel), the compiler will start to take up LOTS of
memory. Looking at
top, i have currently used up almost 1 gig of ram and about 1 gig of my
swap. From what I can tell I do not believe there is anything inherently
wrong with the code that I am emitting. I also believe that eventually it
would finish the compilation. Maybe this is an unfortunate side effect of
flattening, or, though probably unlikely, there may be a memmory leak? It
seems like maybe I will have to put a cap on exactly how deep I flatten,
because the amount of memory it takes to run redundant is ridiculous. In
less that two minutes I have this:

6040 lziarek   11   0  982m 947m  85m D 10.3 93.9   3:45.33 mlton-compile

Afterwards it starts swapping and griding along.
Any ideas?

Luke