[MLton] Compiler warnings

Jesper Louis Andersen jlouis@mongers.org
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 08:29:22 +0100

I have thought about this for a week now and since I have not turned
it down, it might be yet another of those ''what if'' ideas to throw
to the table.

GCC has a -Wall option for turning on a bunch of options all about
warnings. My current idea is something around mimicking -Wunused
which should report values defined in the code but never used in the
code. Maybe the dead-code eliminator can do this job neatly?

I had hoped to find more things of debatable problems, but the rest
of the GCC warnings are tied to C being braindead. The unused variable
stuff could be nice to have though, since I have caught myself in
the process of doing ''manual'' elimination of those from my programs.

Any comments to this idea?

--
j.