[MLton] upgrade-basis hangs

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:46:35 -0800

> I'm trying to compile the 20040106 beta, but the upgrade-basis script
> hangs (strace indicates it's reading from stdin). I can't install binaries
> because I have an old libc and no upgrade path.
>
> What might be going wrong? I don't mind getting into the scripts, but I
> don't have any clue what it's trying to do or why it'd be reading from
> stdin.

I'm not sure what's going on.  Could you run the script with set -x
and show us how far it gets?  The script tests the MLton that is being
used for bootstrapping to see how it handles various basis library
things, and then adds appropriate stubs to make all MLton's look
uniform (enough for bootstrapping, anyway).

Also, if you can let us know the version of MLton you're bootstrapping
from, that might help.