[MLton] How easy is it to steal MLton's front end?

Allyn Dimock dimock@cs.uml.edu
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:04:52 -0400

Hi,

Has anyone successfully stolen MLton's front end to use with another
back end?  Can you give me a general idea as to how to do so and / or
put me in contact with someone who has succeeded in stealing the front
end.

My interest is in compiling reasonable programs for performance testing
various constraint solution strategies in Torben Amtoft & Bob Muller's
global register allocator.

The input that I need is a defunctionalized, explicitly-typed,
monomorphic lambda calculus with sums, products, and some reasonable
base types.

Given that MLton defunctionalizes higher-order functions, and used to
and may still clone functions for monomorphization, I hope that the
MLton front end may produce a representation that we can easily use.

Any thoughts?

-- Allyn

Allyn Dimock  dimock@cs.uml.edu