[MLton] cvs commit: mlb integration

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:11:53 -0400 (EDT)

> > Here is an unfortunate phenomenon with mlbs:
> >
> > The mlton-stubs.cm file is supposed to prepend onto the program a stub for
> > the MLton structure.  Unfortunately, the way we interpret a .mlb in a
> > clean basis, means that this stub isn't visible from other .mlbs.  There
> > are certainly ways around it, but it is a little cumbersome.
>
> this is probably what you're thinking of, but just in case ...  Can't
> we have our own "basis.mlb", which in the usual case we point at
> $(SML_BASIS)/basis/basis.mlb, and when compiling with stubs, we point
> at the stubs mlb?

Yes, that works fine.  It just becomes a little messy for the
../lib/mlton/* directory.  It makes for things under src/mlton to
references a src/mlton/basis.mlb file, which we dynamically generate, but
for the things from the library, it's not so clear that they should depend
upon the src/mlton/basis.mlb file.