[MLton] cvs commit: Added -inline-into-main {true|false}.

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:18:36 -0400 (EDT)

>   MAIL Added -inline-into-main {true|false}.
>
>   This flag controls whether the SSA inliner will inline functions into
>   the main function.

It seems that what we really want is an inverse to the -inline option.
That is, a flag that sets a maximum size on functions and prevents
inlining (or contifying) into functions if doing so would exceed their
maximum size.  Because, in general, it doesn't seem to me that avoiding
growing the size of the main function will necessarily solve the problem.
What prevents any other function from growing to an arbirary size and
exhibiting the same behavior in the backend?