[MLton] Re: MLton mailing list

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:27:17 -0800

> I'm currently looking at improving the recompilation system in the
> ML Kit by serializing import and export environments to disk, which
> in principle could influence our PM system. One problem is that the
> improvement requires a dependency analysis, which, as you know, is
> difficult for Standard ML (because of toplevel value constructors
> and infix declarations).

I'm not sure what you see the problem as, but I'd be happy to discuss
it.  You might be interested in looking at the output of a new option
we just added to MLton, -show-def-use, which gives dependency
information on constructors, variables, types, signatures, structures,
and functors.

> So what happened to the ML Basis files - it seemed like a good idea?

I agree :-).  I still plan to do it at some point.  I spent most of my
free time over the last 6 months working on MLton's new front end.
BTW, I'd love to get your feedback on trying that out on the ML Kit.

My current plan is to do the mlb stuff this summer.  But I'm not sure
if I will find the time.