[MLton] should Date.{fromString,scan} allow space instead of zero?

Daniel C. Wang danwang@CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:53:07 -0400

Henry Cejtin wrote:

> I STRONGLY  disagree with the default value of a flag for following the basis
> library spec strictly.  The main usefulness of the  spec  is  that  it  is  a
> STANDARD library spec.

Sorry, not clear what you're saying. I was aruging that their be a flag that
by default ignores the spec as written and implements the spec as "it ought
to have been written". Until then spec is updated, MLton deviates from the
spec in ways that are only "good". However, users who are concerned with
absolute conformance can turn off strict checking.

In general, I would hope conformance to the spec, doesn't not prevent MLton
developers and users to benefit from improvements until an offical revison
comes out. I suspect many of the improvements will be adopted by other
implementations.  So there is the defacto spec as any sensible developer
ought to implement it and the real spec.