[MLton] should Date.{fromString,scan} allow space instead of zero?

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:38:44 -0700

> In terms of `fixing' the basis spec, I always feel the the most
> broken part is that Int.toString uses ~ instead of -.  The string
> form of negative integers starts with the character `-', not with
> `~'.  The same is also true for Int.fromString: it should NOT accept
> ~3.

At least Int.{fromString,scan} do the right thing with the "normal"
representation, unlike Date.  Anyways, while I agree with you, I think
this one is much less likely to be viewed as needing fixing by the
spec writers.

This does make me think though, that another way to offer an improved
basis instead of using a bool ref is as a new mlb, implemented via a
wrapper around the official basis.  That seems better than the ref in
that it allows both to be used in the same program, while still making
it explicit to the user which basis is being used.

It's easy enough to build your own mlb for the problems with Date and
Int.