[MLton] fun with ranlib

Filip Pizlo pizlo@purdue.edu
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:35:53 -0500 (EST)

> Certainly re-running ranlib after a copy used to be the standard every where.

Most systems don't require this.  Mac OS X seems to be almost alone here,
making this one of the top annoyances for porters.

> I'm curious: when you did not re-run ranlib, did the link actually  fail?   I
> would  have  expected that the linker would not believe the ranlib was valid,
> but that would just slow the link down.

It fails with the following error:

ld: table of contents for
archive: /Users/pizlo/Programs/mlton/build/bin/../lib/self/libmlton.a is
out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
call to system failed with exit status 1:
gcc -o 11372 /tmp/file5mGNXq.o /tmp/file5hEbHo.o
-L/Users/pizlo/Programs/mlton/build/bin/../lib/self -lmlton -lgmp -lgdtoa
-lm

--
Filip Pizlo
http://bocks.psych.purdue.edu/