[MLton] fun with ranlib

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:14:38 -0700

> My solution for now is to add a loop that runs ranlib for
> build/lib/<blah>/*.a after *.a is copied there in the runtime target of
> the top-level Makefile.  However, I'm wondering what, exactly, has to be
> done for this to be cross-compile-friendly.  Any thoughts?

The way I usually do cross compiles is to generate C/asm on some
source machine, copy the files to the target machine, and then on the
target machine compile the C/asm and link.  So, as long as I can set
up the *.a files so the linking works on the target machine, I'm
happy.  I don't mind adding a ranlib call to my cross-compile scripts.

I wouldn't worry about doing cross compilation of C/asm or cross
linking.