[MLton] install rule

Raymond Racine rracine@adelphia.net
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:41:14 -0400

I noticed that as well and simply modifying it to install into the
prefix of /usr/local (by blanking it if I recall).

I only mention this because of a nice bit of serendipity.  The MLton RPM
installs into /usr/...

So if I need to reboot strap from a previous stable release (which just
happened twice in the last 2 weeks) I just:
- Install MLton stable via RPM. [Goes into /usr/...]
- CVS checkout and make and install (with DESTDIR blanked) [Goes into
/usr/local/...]
- RPM -e .... Remove the previous stable.

In other words I can shadow the CVS installation by RPM adding/deleting
the last stable.

Of course, such reasoning is not the strongest reason to do it this way
and I'm not advocating anything and now that the make file install has
everyone attention this will most certainly change (maybe).

Side note:
Just today I converted an RPG parser that does some static analysis on
~850K SLOC.
SML/NJ -> 36 secs
MLton (cvs latest) -> 5.4 secs

Ray