[MLton] cvs commit: spaces in mlb imported file names

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:54:39 -0400 (EDT)

> > Note that the MLB lexer has a fairly limited regexp for filenames.
> > Filenames must be composed of alpha-num characters or "-" or "_".
>
> It would be good to document this in the user guide, as well as the
> support of quoted strings.

O.k.  I wanted to check if we wanted a more liberal syntax.

> > Also, considering that this is SML, I'm tempted to use SML style
> > strings, which makes it easy for a user to understand what they are
> > writing down, although it makes writing Win32 filenames a bit
> > verbose.
>
> I don't understand the issue here.  Do you mean that filename strings
> don't have the same syntax as SML strings?  I agree that would be
> bad.  Or are you referring to the mlton -stop f output?

I was pointing out that quoted filenames are treated as SML strings;
this is in contrast to Makefile and bash, where quoted filenames have
different escape characters.  So, I'm arguing that what is now implemented
is correct, even though it is different from other systems.