[MLton] Trip Report -- Commercial Users of Functional Programming

Raymond Racine rracine@adelphia.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:13:47 -0400

Though, obviously, I was not there, I have and do use SML/NJ and now
MLton to do some utilities in a commercial environment.  While its not a
secret, its not sanctioned either.  I have freedom to do what I do.

The current suite of (simple) tools involve creating an "architectural
reconstruction" of a 1.6 million RPG/COBOL code base.  Its not near as
fancy as it sounds.

I extract "facts" from the code base as N3 triples.  Then I feed the
data into a Rete which has some simple productions that add a bit more
data.  Finally I dump the mess into a DB and query in an ad hoc manner.

Ray