[MLton] upcoming release

Vesa Karvonen vesa.karvonen@cs.helsinki.fi
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:15:45 +0300

Quoting Matthew Fluet <fluet@cs.cornell.edu>:
[...]
> Another alternative might be
>
>   nonexhaustiveExnMatch {default|ignore}
>
> where "default" means to follow the nonexhaustiveMatch annotation.

Seems reasonable.

> You could probably skip compatibility with warnExnMatch, since it has
> never appeared in a public release.

Yes.

> > I kind of like it that after replacing "warnMatch false" with just
> > "nonexhaustiveMatch ignore" none of the libraries/tools that come with
> > MLton (seem to) produce warnings. IOW, "redundantMatch ignore" is not
> > needed.
>
> All of the libraries in the MLton source should have "warnMatch true",

Oops, I misremembered. I was sure I replaced 'warnMatch false' with
'nonexhaustiveMatch ignore' (in the libs), but now that I checked, only the
bin/regression script seems to be using 'warnMatch false'. Apologies for
the misinformation.

> We would like to preserve that in future code evolution, so we would
> replace "warnMatch true" with "nonexhaustiveMatch warn, redundantMatch
> warn".

Yes, that's the way it should be.

> > Is it worth preparing the patch before the next release?
>
> I'd prefer not to delay the release waiting for more features.  On the
> other hand, I'd rather not release with warnExnMatch only to remove it in
> the next release.
>
> If you can prepare the patch, send it along [...]

Ok. I'll look into it later today.

-Vesa Karvonen