[MLton] upcoming release

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 16:10:33 -0400 (EDT)

> > It has been quite a while since our last release, so I would like to
> > do a new one.  There aren't any huge new features, but we have
> > accumulated a number of bugfixes, as well as some small improvements:
> >
> >  * better exception history
> >  * libraries: Int1, MLton.CallStack, MLton.Process.create, Word1
> >  * FFI improvements: support for symbols
>
> Some other small improvments:
>  * better inclusion/exclusion of code for profiling

I was checking main.fun and the man pages to bring the set of options up
to date.  Things seem to be in synch.  However, I noticed that a number of
the profiling options are listed as expert and wondered whether any should
be migrated to normal.

The expert options are:
  profile-c <regexp>
  profile-exclude <regexp>
  profile-include <regexp>
  profile-raise {false|true}

Also, -target-link-opt has kind of an odd description: why is dependent on
the os and not on the target?  (The implementation is the same as for the
other -target-* options, so I believe it really depends on a target.)
Also, why list -target-link-opt and not -target-cc-opt?

Finally, -basis has been deprecated through the last release; is it time
to drop it?