[MLton] Emacs mode for editing ML Basis files

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:38:49 -0700

> What I personally want is fully automated indentation. I just want
> to press tab on a line or type M x indent-buffer to (re)indent the
> whole buffer (or anything between those extremes).

I think this is a very good goal.  I am willing to give up a lot to
use such a system.

> The way I see it, indentation should be the same whether you indent
> individual lines or the whole buffer. In other words, indentation should
> be consistent.

Yes.  I guess what I wanted is impossible, since the computed
indentation would depend on the current indentation -- i.e. if a
comment is in column 0, then keep it there, otherwise indent as normal
code.  The reason I wanted this is because there are two different
kinds of comments -- those that are for documentation and those that
are temporarily turning off some code.  For the latter, I usually
start the comment in column zero, while for the former I indent as
code.  Who knows why?

> In the above case, IMO, there should be only one "correct"
> indentation for the comment. Whether the comment should start at
> column 0 or column 3 should be determined by a customization
> setting.

Fair enough.  What I wanted seems silly and I'm quite willing to go to
a mode where comments are always indented as code.  I probably
wouldn't even use the customization settion.