[MLton] mlnlffigen is awesome (was: bootstrap problem)

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:54:20 +0200

On Aug 9, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Matthew Fluet wrote:
> Duplicating the c-int.mlb for x86-linux ought to work.
>
> If you want to test NLFFI, here are some tests that I've adapted
> from the
> SML/NJ CVS repository.  The tests in {array,ll,math,printf} should
> work;
> the tests in {pdb,recursive,structs} won't work because they have
> functions that take or return structs.
>
> You'll need to build mlnlffigen, which requires the CKit and SML/NJ
> Libraries (http://mlton.org/Libraries).

There are a few problems in that the system headers use __asm(...).
Nevertheless, it more or less works on Mac OS X Tiger.

I can't believe that mlnlffigen /usr/include/sys/event.h worked!
That simplifies my kevent code immensely.

If mlnlffigen is included with the mlton.tgz why are smlnj and ckit not?
I think that mlnlffigen is definitely useful enough to build and
install.

Wow.

I wonder if this would work with QT's C bindings.
Too bad it doesn't support C++.
... and I was wishing for SWIG support!

Wow.