[MLton] Tabs in source files

Vesa Karvonen vesa.karvonen@cs.helsinki.fi
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:51:56 +0300

Quoting Matthew Fluet <fluet@cs.cornell.edu>:
> I agree with Henry: no tabs is fine, but I want a simple way of telling
> emacs not to use tabs.

GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (installed from Debian testing) has the customization
variable `indent-tabs-mode' (M x customize-variable indent-tabs-mode)
that should be simple enough:

  Indent Tabs Mode: Hide Toggle  off (nil)
     State: this option has been set and saved.
  Indentation can insert tabs if this is non-nil. Hide
  Setting this variable automatically makes it local to the current buffer.
  Parent groups: Fill

The same applies to XEmacs. It should be possible to make the setting
mode specific using hooks (e.g. sml-mode-hook). However, major modes,
such as the Makefile mode, that require tabs in certain places, should
treat tabs correctly regardless of the indent-tabs-mode setting.

-Vesa Karvonen