[MLton] MLton on Debian hppa, powerpc, and sparc

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:27:04 +0200

On Aug 25, 2005, at 3:37 PM, Stephen Weeks wrote:
>> I've uploaded a package for this.
>
> Thanks.  Do you happen to know where I can see on the web that this
> upload occurred?

No. I am also constantly checking the ftp server for it, but not
seeing it.
Therefore, I am wondering if it actually made it in; I've gotten no
confirm
email about the upload either. =( Did you get it maybe?

> Do such people also complain about gcc building itself?

I raised that exact point, which they then ignored.

>> Nevertheless, having mlton depend on both the shared library and the
>> development headers is a recipe for trouble if this happens again
>
> It was a recipe for trouble already in this case :-), requiring the
> libgmp fix you mentioned.  Are you saying it could be more trouble in
> the future?

Well, the gcc folks seem to think that since they broke ABI
compatibility
with gcc 3.2 and got away with it, that they can do it again and again.
I'd expect their recklessness to continue until they get flamed to
death.

>> So, maybe (for mlton only) it makes sense to staticly link in
>> libgmp. This way, any version of libgmp3 can be installed for
>> building the new mlton. OTOH, if there is a security problem with
>> libgmp3, a new upload of mlton will be required.
>
> Yeah, this is a good solution.  At least it must be done in order to
> facilitate the transition.

Well, actually, it didn't *need* to be done. =)
I just did a 'dpkg --force-depends -i mlton*.deb'.
MLton could work with the new version (only C++ abi changed).
Of course, no automated system will know to do that.

>> Eeek! Please, don't re-upload to fix this.  If you do, my current
>> sparc build will be wasted.  After I get sparc uploaded, feel free.
>
> Sorry, I already uploaded a fix (a broken one, using -static).  I'm
> building a package right now statically linking MLton only with
> libgmp.  Since you're already screwed, I might as well upload that and
> then hold off until you're ready.

WTF.

I see a 20050823 and 20050822.
It seems I uploaded 20050823 for powerpc, but was building 20050822
on vore. That's very strange. Is the one you just uploaded 20050825?
I don't see it.

Tell me when to start the sparc build; it takes 2-3 days, so take
your time
getting the i386 build right. =) I can rebuild powerpc in about 2
hours, so
that's no problem.

Could we get a memory.hppa-linux.mlb and also mlnlffigen installed into
/usr/bin? It'll need a manpage too.