MLTon build (was: Re: [MLton] cvs commit: C types now distinguish between signed and unsigned words)

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:27:31 -0500 (EST)

> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found
> /bin/sh: line 1: mlton: command not found

These are the benign 'command not found' warnings mentioned on the wiki
page.  You can safely ignore them, as they did not abort the compilation.

> make -C front-end
> rm -f ml.lex.sml
> mllex ml.lex
> make[3]: execvp: mllex: Permission denied
> make[3]: *** [ml.lex.sml] Error 127
> make[2]: *** [front-end/ml.lex.sml] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [compiler] Error 2
> make: *** [all-no-docs] Error 2
> ===================================

This is saying that you can't execute mllex, which is required to build
the lexing tables from the ml.lex description.  mllex should be installed
at /usr/bin/mllex.

> I found at the Wiki page that I have to have mlton source directory at
> the path,

That is incorrect.  You need to have a directory with a mlton executable
on your path.  The Wiki page is saying that the source directory's
/build/bin path is automatically added to your path during the make.

> so I do:
> CWD: ~/Applications/MLTon/mlton-20041109  Time: 12:06:11 Jobs: 1
>   xlex@Karlson>export PATH=$PATH:`pwd`
>
> CWD: ~/Applications/MLTon/mlton-20041109  Time: 12:06:28 Jobs: 1
>   xlex@Karlson>env |grep PATH
> MANPATH=/opt/local/man/
> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/local/bin/:/Users/xlex/
> Applications/MLTon/mlton-20041109

That shouldn't affect anything.  The directory you added to your path has
no mlton executables.