[MLton] Support for link options in ML Basis files

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:02:10 -0500 (EST)

> I'm being a bit of a Devil's Advocate here; I don't disagree that
> pkgconfig is trying to solve a legitimate problem.  I'm simply playing the
> other side to ensure that we don't commit to something that isn't a true
> solution to the problem at hand.

BTW, for those interested in these issues, you might be interested in the
following, which came across my INBOX today; it outlines a solution to a
similar problem for Haskell compilers.

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:27:48 -0800
From: Isaac Jones <ijones@syntaxpolice.org>
To: haskell@haskell.org, libraries@haskell.org
Subject: [Haskell] ANN: Cabal 0.4

                      The Haskell Cabal
The Common Architecture for Building Applications and Libraries.
http://www.haskell.org/cabal

ABOUT:

The Haskell Cabal is meant to be a part of a larger infrastructure for
distributing, organizing, and cataloging Haskell Libraries and
Tools. It is an effort to provide a framework for developers to more
effectively contribute their software to the Haskell community.

Specifically, the Cabal describes what a Haskell package is, how these
packages interact with the language, and what Haskell implementations
must to do to support packages. The Cabal also specifies some
infrastructure (code) that makes it easy for tool authors to build and
distribute conforming packages.

The Cabal is only one contribution to the larger goal. In particular,
the Cabal says nothing about more global issues such as how authors
decide where in the module name space their library should live; how
users can find a package they want; how orphan packages find new
owners; and so on.