[MLton] Multicore CPU's and MLton

John Skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Tue, 05 Jul 2005 01:56:42 +1000

--=-jszaCmD5knT+zrdHkx4/

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 12:43 +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> I think MLton is just fine for developing extremely scaleable web service=
s.
> In fact, because continuations work so well at reimplementing state-threa=
ds,
> I would wager that an MLton-based webservice would destroy anything you
> compared it to, _especially_ on multi-processor machines.

I think you're missing the fundamental problem: sockets and=20
kernel TCP/IP stacks.=20

The only way to write a fast web server requires a raw socket
and a significant part of the TCP/IP stack will have to be=20
provided.

--=20
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>
Download Felix: http://felix.sf.net

--=-jszaCmD5knT+zrdHkx4/

--=-jszaCmD5knT+zrdHkx4/--