[MLton] MLton rules! (was: filedes = int)

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:24:39 +0200

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 01:36:22PM +1000, skaller wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 21:25 +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
>
> > Keep in mind that no one forces people to compile for amd64.
>
> Huh? I have an amd64 .. so I am 'forced' to compile for it :)

I also have an amd64, and I happily run both 32bit and 64bit apps.
gcc -m32 or -m64 is all I need to specify.

> > If a person needs to limit pointer size (for cache reasons), he can always
> > build his application for x86 mode.
>
> That is not at all so easy when one has 64 bit libraries to link with.

If your distro does not have the base libc libraries for both 32&64 bit,
then it is broken and you should report a bug. MLton only needs libc and
libgmp, so worst-case you just need to rebuild libgmp for the other.

I imagine most distributions also have libgmp as both since it is a pretty
vital library. (debian does not, but this is a known issue)

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca>